Reviews in 2008

Ones To Watch

FILM> Ghost Town
In the comedy "Ghost Town," Bertram Pincus (Ricky Gervais) is a man whose people skills leave much to be desired.  When Pincus dies unexpectedly, but is miraculously revived after seven minutes, he wakes up to discover that he now has the annoying ability to see ghosts.  Even worse, they all want something from him, particularly Frank Herlihy (Greg Kinnear), who pesters him into breaking up the impending marriage of his widow Gwen (Téa Leoni).
Ghost Town is released in the UK on 24th October, 2008

Clinic - Do It!

MUSIC> Clinic - Do It!

Since the release of their masterpiece Internal Wrangler, Clinic have been accused of treading water, albeit in a pool of water inhabited only by surgical-mask wearing surf punks.  This is a bit unfair really as Clinic's sound - whether the teeth-clenched vocals or the garage rock doo wop - is theirs and theirs alone and innovation by a band this downright unusual is difficult to notice. more

Released in the UK on April 7th, 2008

The Counterfeiters
FILM> The Counterfeiters 

The Counterfeiters follows the true story of the Nazis’ attempt to flood the British and American economy with fake money during World War 2.  It was one of the biggest counterfeit operations of all time - over 130 million pounds worth of fake currency was printed.  This was carried out by POWs in Nazi concentration camps which is where the film is based.  more

Released on DVD in the UK on 16th March, 2008

Girl Talk - Night Ripper
MUSIC> Girl Talk - Night Ripper 

Since DangerMouse released the infamous Grey Album there has been a hoarde of professional and amateur DJs trying to do their own mash-ups.  The problem is that 99% of them amount to nothing more than a one-play novelty song.  But in the remaining 1% there are DJs like Girl Talk, a genius in mixing different genres in original and surprising ways. more

Released in the UK on February 25th, 2008

Jack Black
FILM> Be Kind Rewind 

The idea behind Be Kind Rewind is fantastic – two buddies, Jerry (Jack Black) and Mike (Mos Def), accidentally wipe all the videos in the store that Mike works in and decide to recreate them on the shoddy equipment they have available.   more
Released in the UK on February 22nd, 2008

Reviews Archive